Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blog Post 2: Social Services

I was really interested by this week’s readings and the introduction of the role of urban planners. In Malcolm Kenton’s article, Understanding the tools in an affordable housing toolkit, urban planners are portrayed as the ones responsible for creating communities that are sustainable, but also provide adequately for each member of the population. This is an incredibly interesting job from my perspective, and I can think of a number of instances in my home community where a panel of urban planners could have helped to solve a number of problems, particularly in providing housing and meals for those in need.
Kenton’s article prompted me to believe that perhaps not enough emphasis has been placed on the extreme vitality of urban planners in maintaining society today. Urban planning is just one way that people can contribute to society, and it inspired me to consider that there may be a vast array of opportunities for people to help their communities; perhaps even new and more effective positions that can make an extreme difference in society.
Something that really confused me was the concept of a section 8 voucher. I really had a difficult time grasping what exactly the purpose of these “vouchers” might be. I also am interested in learning more about the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977

I was also very intrigued by the question and answer article with Antonio Pizano. I find his work inspiring, and his occupation to be quite a noble one. I think that it would be conducive to society if businesses were designed like Pizano’s agency, making contribution to society a greater priority than personal profit.

This week’s readings instigated my sincere interest in occupations people assume when trying to aide their communities. I am very curious to learn what I can about the social services branch of the third sector, and I find myself wondering what new types of positions will be created in the future as the needs of society continue to transform.

No comments:

Post a Comment